Anchoring in Georgia and the Walburg Creek Episode


I am going to try a different way of blogging.  I may skip some days and not play catch up but continue from where I am.  I will fill in what I've skipped if I decide I want to include something special or of interest.

I will see how it goes.  Inky Rose also needs to come exploring more.  She is so quiet that I forget to take her with me! 

We have been traveling down the ICW (the ditch) steadily.  Navigating the ditch is tricky when you have to look at charts and mark down the tides, the depth, and all the times involved in a safe passage.

There a few areas, especially in Georgia, where Dolce Vita has a terrible time finding a suitable anchoring spot.  Ed doesn't like to be at any depth lower than 6 or 7 ft. at low tide or deeper than 15 feet
at high tide.  Since we don't have a windlass to pull up the anchor and chain, Ed has to do it himself and 15' is the limit of his ability to pull the heavy anchor and chain up.  Georgia has deep water and when it's not that deep it's too shallow and we stand the chance of going aground.

For example, when we were anchoring in Walburg Creek, we found what looked like a proper depth for us, but in reality there was a sand bar under the water.  We went right through it and got stuck for 3 hours until the tide came up.  No danger, just not a happy happenstance for the Captain.  The real problem was that meant we had to anchor in the dark.  I didn't find dropping the anchor too hard in the dark - it's my job to lower the anchor since it's just too heavy for me to lift.  Gravity is such a good helper!

Here's the cause of the extra sand - the two areas on both sides of the ground eroded into the creek causing that sand to slide under the water.

 Despite the inconvenience of being aground, we got to witness a marvelous sky!
Beginnings of the sunset
                                    
A beautiful sunset











             What a sky!



Comments

  1. Well, OK - but just don't skip too much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ron! I'm just leaving all the detail, fine mechanical details up to Ed! I just want to have fun!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for our new Adventure!

Rose Buddies are Back! Elizabeth City, NC